26 MARZO 2018: Rodrigo Lopez... ¿QUÉ?

These last few weeks, Elder Garcia and I have been working A LOT in the villages and small towns out of Pinotepa. However, this last week, we've felt like we need to focus more on Pinotepa, in order to allow the members of the branch to help the investigators, invite them to Family Home Evenings, go to lessons with us, invite their neighbors, etc. So we spent most of the week here in Pino! Honestly, we didn't have a TON of luck, but, we had a few experiences that have made the little extra struggle worth it.

On Tuesday, we went to search a reference named Rodrigo Lopez. We walked all the way to the edge of town, the part where the streets aren't paved anymore, and started asking around if anyone knew who Rodrigo Lopez was. A few different people pointed us towards a house, so we yelled (because that's what you do when you can't get to the front door, or in this case, when they simply don't have one.) A lady came out, we asked for Rodrigo, she let us in. Her name is Maria, Rodrigo Lopez's sister. Rodrigo wasn't home, but we talked to Maria. We learned that a few months ago, her husband and her only daughter passed away from different events, but within weeks of each other. She hasn't let herself get down, but I can't even imagine how hard that would be. We talked a bit about the Plan of Salvation, and she opened up a lot.

Then all of a sudden, Maria was like, "Wait-- what's the second last name of the Rodrigo Lopez you're looking for?" (Because everyone in Mexico has two last names.) And we were like, "I don't know." And then she told us that they have a neighbor who is also named Rodrigo Lopez, just with a different second last name. We talked a bit more and came to the conclusion that we had originally been searching for the other Rodrigo Lopez. But something let us to her house first, something told Maria to let us in and listen, something touched her heart and brought peace to her soul, and we came to the conclusion also, that that something is the Spirit, and that it was no coincidence that we were there with Maria.

After wards, we swung by the other Rogrigo Lopez's house. We confirmed that he was, in fact, who we were searching for. His mother, however, was not pleased to see us, and chased us away with many strong words.

On Saturday morning, we went to Yutandayoo with Roberto and Gerardo. They brothers, they're 17 and 22, respectively, and they got baptized in September. In Yutandayoo, Elder Garcia went with Roberto, and I went with Gerardo. We only got one family to let us in, but we talked with an investigator, Gaby, and her sister, Aida, about faith, repentance, and baptism. Gerardo got super into it and he was so excited to share his testimony and the experiences that he had as he learned about the principles of the gospel and made the decision to be baptized. Gerardo says he's not going to serve a mission, but with a testimony and enthusiasm like that, he'd be an amazing missionary.

We had interviews with Presidente y Hermana Ávila on Saturday. I LOVE Presidente y Hermana Ávila. I always leave interviews with such confidence, and a great direction for how I can change to be a better missionary. Presidente and I talked a bit about how I, as well as they, am entering my final months of the mission. Presidente shared this scripture with me. D&C 64:32-34:

32 But all things must come to pass in their time.

33 Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.

34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

Whether I like it or not, the time will come for me to be released and leave Mexico. However, the end of full-time missionary service isn't the end of a life dedicated to serving the Lord. So I, we, should never tire of building Zion. And if I give my heart and have a willing mind, I'll never tire of doing this work. Not here in the mission, not when I'm home.

And, to conclude, on Saturday night, we finished interviews with Presidente y Hermana Ávila at 10:15 at night. We live right up the street from the church, but they followed us home, just to be safe. I was feeling skippy because that's how I feel when I get out of interviews. So skippy that I did a heel click off the sidewalk and ripped my pants right down the middle, right in half, right in front of Presidente y Hermana Ávila. I'm fat.

I love all y'all! Have a great week!

-Elder Aldrich

FOTOS
1) Vaca


2) A small town we work in, La Estancia.


3) Raciel, modeling my new sombrero.


4) Elder Garcia was tickling the iguana. The iguana didn't like that much.


5&6) I didn't do it.