23 ABRIL 2018: Service with a SMILE!


It's been a hot week here in Pinotepa Nacional, and it's only getting hotter. But, let's be real, the heat doesn't bother me anymore. Here's a few highlights from the week:

One of my favorite parts of being a leader in the mission is doing divisions with the other missionaries. On Tuesday, I got to go with Elder Waldron to work in Huazolotitlan. His companion was with their district leader. It was a great day. We started the day helping some random old lady carry like 100 huge, heavy bricks up a giant hill. It was awesome. Then we convinced a member in a town called Huaxpaltepec to tell us where every inactive member in the town lives. We ate squash and cheese with flour tortillas!! It was splendid. I had a great heart to heart with the branch president in Huazolo so we could get a clearer vision of what he expects out of the elders in his branch and what we need from him and his members, and capped off the day teaching the Plan of Salvation to a mom of 2 small children. I love how even though I have 20 months in the mission and Elder Waldron only has 7, I learned lots from him and his enthusiasm and sincerity that he has in all that he does. It was a great day.

On Thursday, we went to rip the floor out of a member's house in a town called La Estancia. Their floor was damaged in the earthquake, so we and 4 other members from the branch went with sledgehammers and crowbars, and our muscularness and got the job done in just a couple of hours. It's amazing how fast things get done when you have 20 hands instead of 8.

This week, Presidente and Hermana Ávila were in Mexico City for some mission presidents' meeting. Since they weren't in the mission, they asked that the missionaries not call them or interrupt them. So, I was flooded with lots of unusual phone calls from the zone. "My nose is bleeding and I can't get it to stop." "I'm vomiting violently. Do I have permission to stay in until I feel better?" "Our blind investigator threatened to rob us. What do we do?" "Our investigator just told us that he's a prophet and has asked me to be one of his apostles. Do we continue teaching him or should we drop him?" Among other incredibly random, unexpected questions and concerns. I love all my elders, but I also believe that there is in fact, such a thing as a stupid question, and I heard my fair share this week.

Yesterday, during the sacrament, I was thinking about the promises we make as we take the sacrament: 1)Take His name upon us and act as He would act; 2) Remember Him always; 3) Keep His commandments, striving always to be obedient, even (or maybe even especially) when we don't understand the reason behind a certain commandment. I got thinking, What can I do to be more Christlike? How can I make sure Christ is always on my mind and in my heart? And which commandment could I be a little more diligent in keeping? That's the homework I've left myself for the week.

These and many more great, character building, testimony strengthening experiences. I hope everyone has a great week! I love all y'all!

-Elder Aldrich

FOTOS
1) The elders in Huazolo have an investigator that has a pet jaguar. It's still a baby, but it's already a violent, frothy little creature.


2) El Pequeño Elder


3) The house of prayer in Huazolotitlan.



4) Elder Garcia and I enjoying the 3 mile walk from the highway to Yutandayoo


5) We also helped trim the trees at the church on Saturday morning. #slavelaborforthewin