30 OCTUBRE 2017: Daddy Diaries: Week 1

Well, kids, I have officially survived my first week as a father! It definitely wasn't the ideal "Welcome to the Mission" week, but I'll give you the rundown.

When you all last heard from me, I was about to go meet all the new kids that had just arrived. I went and met them, saw more white people than I've seen in a while, (16 of the 20 missionaries who arrived are American) I had a nice little chat with a couple new kids who were struggling with Spanish. It was awkward when they didn't understand me because of my accent, the random Spanish words I threw in, and the Spanish grammar I used. My English is pathetic. I then talked to one of the new Mexicans who showed up, Elder Oliva, and I hardcore judged the kid (because I'm a terrible human being) and literally said that out of all the missionaries I had met that day, I DIDN'T want him as a companion. (FORESHADOWING!)

For district meeting on Monday, I was assigned a white kid and we went street contacting. The poor elder couldn't speak any Spanish. It was adorable.

On Tuesday, I was assigned mi hijo! His name is Elder Oliva! (yes, the one I hardcore judged) He's from Veracruz and he just barely turned 18 like a month ago. I now feel super bad for judging him, because he's AWESOME. He's so excited to just go out and work and talk to everyone and just be the best missionary he can be. Plus I don't have to teach him Spanish (which is a PLUS) and he's great to teach with. It's going to be a great 12 weeks!

We spent much of Tuesday contacting in Centro in Cuenavaca, because that's what you do in Cuernavaca when you have nothing to do. We met some really great people who were so prepared to receive the gospel. Actually, it surprised me and changed the way I look at street contacting, because it was something I did because I know I need to, but I didn't like to. But now I really understand that there really are people that I walk past every day that are ready and willing to receive us.

We made it back to Costa Azul on Wednesday with just enough time to go visit Elisea, a wonderful old woman who got mad at us because our visit made her late to some saint-worshipping party at the catholic church down the hill.

On Thursday, we had Multi-Zone conference with Presidente and Hermana Ávila, and it was one of the best conferences I've been to in the mission. We talked lots about the Libro de Mormón, did lots of practices and felt the Spirit really strong. Presidente rebuked us with love, and said something I don't think I'll ever forget:

"I think it's safe to say that each one of us is here because at some point in our lives, whether we realized it at the time or not, the Lord saved us right as we were about to fall."

I think about the Lord in my life. I think about where I would be had the Lord never come to my rescue, or had I chosen not to grab His hand when He extended it towards me. I'm so thankful for my Savior, for His love, for His atonement. And I'm so thankful that I get to share that love with the people in Acapulco, and help them receive access to His atonement.

On Saturday, Presidente and Hermana Ávila spoke in the adult session of stake conference. Afterwards, Hermana Ávila asked me if I was ok. I was, but I was super stressed and EXHAUSTED. She said, "Well, Elder, the Lord knows your stress. My original plan was to ask you to come up and take half my time to talk about the Book of Mormon, but I felt that I needed to change my plan. The Lord was looking out for you." I though she was kidding, then when I realized she wasn't, I was thankful that the Lord was looking out for me.

Our zone did a choir for stake conference. I had 2 weeks to learn the arrangement of "I Know My Redeemer Lives" by Michael R. Hicks. I don't read music super well, and a missionary schedule doesn't allow for much time to practice, but I managed to pull it off and we sounded AMAZING.

So it's been a great week. I hope everyone also has a great week! I love all y'all!

-Elder Aldrich

FOTOS
1) Elder Aldrich, Papi; Elder Oliva, Hijo.


2) Y'all already know about my obsession with the sky.


P.S.
OH! I almost forgot. Today we bought like 10 kilos of meat and dined as a zone. And we also took pictures to make a 2018 calendar. I've included a couple pictures to give you guys a sneak peak. You're welcome.