Hey hey hey! So it's been another great week full of walking, talking, needles, learning, growing, miracles, and, of course, moments that make me want to crawl under a rock.
Walking and talking resulted in a new investigator named Erik. I stopped to buy a Coke in a little store on the corner, then because missionaries are weird, I struck up a conversation with the guy in the store (Erik), started talking about Jesus, and he invited us back. Erik reminds me a bit of Steve Moon, and it makes me just want to teach him everything perfectly so him and his family get baptized.
The needles are because I've started using heroine! (I do not use heroine.)
On Thursday, we took a trip up to Cuernavaca to go to a hospital that accepts the insurance of the mission. This time it's ok, though, because this trip wasn't an emergency. The doctor overlooked some of the documents from my last trip to the hospital and they ran some new blood tests. This time, I didn't even almost pass out!
Turns out, I didn't just have salmonella poisoning, I had Typhoid, which apparently is just kind of what happens when you leave salmonella to do it's thing for too long. But the infection has been completely removed from my body and I'm not going to die! Whoo hoo!
On Saturday, we went to do an activity in one of the areas in my district. I was assigned to go with the bishop of the ward. We were trying to find a family, when he got the impression to visit a family nearby. We went to the home of a recent convert who is preparing to go to the temple, and we were able to find her husband who is not a member. We had an amazing lesson with him about the opportunity their family has to be an eternal family. His 11 year old son is preparing to receive the priesthood and gave an extremely powerful testimony. This hermano has made the decision to be baptized and even though he's not my investigator, I'm so happy for him and his family.
Our investigator, Oscar, is no longer an investigator. He's the next bishop. This guy is a true convert, and I had the privilege to baptize him. But here's where the "crawling under a rock" comes in. It's been a while since I've gone to school and had to do math, but I think this equation is simple:
Oscar's afraid of water + Elder Aldrich could stand to be more diligent in doing his push ups every morning + An unusually shallow baptismal font = 7 tries to get the ordinance done right.
That's right. 7 tries. Needless to say, I think that may be a record. In order to get it right. Oscar had to sit down in the font and I had to then kneel down behind him, and even that method took 2 tries. But the most important thing is that he's officially a member of the church and he's awesome.
But yes, just let me go crawl under a rock.
I hope everyone has a great week! I love all y'all!
-Elder Aldrich
PICTURES
1) Benefit to having to go to Cuernavaca: We swung by the mission office and there were packages waiting for me.
2) My companion falls asleep everywhere and I'm an insomniac.
3) El bautismo de Oscar!
4&5) I love my district. We have changes in a week and we're afraid they're going to split us up.