EL DISTRITO 3: Distrito Galeana
Oh, the drama. I have 2 companionships of hermanas, one of which are Sister Training Leaders. So the STL's asked me to make a plan for the divisions that they're going to have with with the other hermanas in the district this week. They rejected my plan twice and want the other hermanas to cancel a ward activity to do the divisions on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I thought I left this garbage behind in high school.
Elder Bott from El Distrito says that you shouldn't chase random people down on the street or they'll think you're weird. We've chosen to ignore the advice of our amigo Elder Bott. We talk to everything that moves. I even slipped a pass along card under the collar of a dog in the street. And of these probably hundreds of people we've talked to this week, we found 4 new investigators this week, and have 19 other potential investigators. So is it weird to chase random people down in the street? Ok, maybe a little, but it's either that or countless souls lost in the abyss of darkness and misery.
Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme, but how else are those random people going to hear the gospel if we don't give it to them?
It's rainy season and I love it. I did have to buy new shoes because my other one's have large holes and they fill with water and make me grumpy when it rains, and I don't like being grumpy when it rains because I love the rain. They great thing about the rain in Chilpancingo and missionary work is that when the rain starts in the afternoon, everybody goes home and hides out the rest of the day. So if we want to visit someone and it's raining, GOOD NEWS! They're home! The only downside is that when people answer the door, instead of letting us in because we're wet, they usually just tell us, "Go home, elderes. It's raining."
But if they want to talk to us, they're home and they let us in!
But this week I've also learned that not ALL of El Distrito is a lie.
We've been visiting members and showing them a video from El Distrito that talks about the Robles Family and the role the members played in their path to baptism and to their temple sealing. Every member that we show the video to says that it shows them a perspective they've never thought of before and that they want to be able to help a family like that in their process of conversion. GUYS. Little by little, the hearts of these members are changing and it's making me so happy.
And the best part of the week looks like it came straight out of an episode of El Distrito. We have an investigator named Oscar who has been attending the wrong ward for 6 weeks and is dating a member who is telling him to wait until September to get baptized. Well, yesterday, a miracle happened. Oscar came to our ward. Then came the even greater miracle: the members of the ward greeted him and talked to him and attended the Gospel Principles class with him and the bishop had a special interview with him and Oscar made the decision to be baptized this Saturday!
I hope everyone has a great week, and that you all tell me all about it! I love all y'all!
-Elder Aldrich
PICTURES
1) We got wet. We got passed by 3 cars that sped up and soaked us with water from the street. It smelled pretty nasty but it was also pretty funny.
2&3) We were tortilleros (tortilla makers) for like 20 minutes. This would be us grinding the corn.
4) I don't know what "crack" they're talking about, or even if they know what the word "crack" means.