But the real reason I believe that the Chicatanas are sent by the devil himself, is not because they're ugly and stupid, rather because every investigator who didn't go to church or didn't keep their commitments this week, didn't attend or read or pray because they were tired, because they were up all night gathering Chicatanas. So yes, they're ugly and stupid and taste like bugs and fly, but most of all, they inhibit the children of God from receiving salvation.
This week, I learned that agency, while it is so incredibly essential to God's plan, is also incredibly frustrating. The biggest problem that we found this week is that most of our investigators are super interested in learning about the gospel, but do not want to act. They want to get baptized, but when it comes time to program a baptismal interview, they don't want to. Or they've received a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true, but they choose to stay home and watch TV instead of going to church. But something important that I've also learned is that my responsibility is to do everything that I can, and their responsibility is to do everything that they can. I can't force anything on anyone. All I can do is study, teach, invite, and help them to act. Their job is to study, learn, commit, and act. If I do my part, the Lord will take us to those who will do theirs.
We went to Yutandayoo almost every day this week. Hermano Honorio Cruz and his wife Hermana Bernarda have been assigned to oversee the family group in Yutandayoo, so we went to visit the members and investigators with them on Wednesday so that they could get to know the village and the people. Honorio and Bernarda are recent converts. They were baptized in September. They have a really cool story because they have 4 kids, but all over the place; one lives in Pinotepa, other lives in Guadalajara, one lives in New Jersey, and their daughter lives in New York City with her husband and 3 kids. All of their kids, wherever in the world they live, were all baptized in the month of September. Presiding the family group is going to be a great learning experience for the Cruz family. (And a slight test of patience for Elder Maxwell and I) But I don't know that I'll every get tired of the beautiful sight that I see every Sunday in that family group. Someday I'll have to come back and visit the Yutandayoo Branch, or who knows... The Yutandayoo Ward... no.... YUTANDAYOO STAKE.
The work continues here in Pinotepa Nacional! I hope everyone has a great week! I love all y'all!!
-Elder Aldrich
FOTOS
Here, just have a TON. jaja
1) Elder Maxwell was jealous of mine and Elder Muñiz's picture from last week.
2) Elder Maxwell and I FEASTED with some pasta and bacon.
3) Ever since I bought hair clippers like a year ago, and ever since, I've been addicted to cutting my own hair. I just don't understand why paying $50 pesos for a crappy haircut is better than giving myself a crappy haircut for free. But, I recognize my addiction and I've put my foot down.
4&5) CHICATANAS.
6) Some elders in my zone woke me up at 3 in the morning the other day because one was having a nightmare, then scared his companion, then they couldn't sleep, so they decided to bug me for 3 hours until it was time to wake up. I didn't sleep much that night. Hi, I'm Mom.
7) We got caught in the rain. It was fun.
8) Then we got caught in the rain again in Yutandayoo.
9) The youth had a Family Home Evening in the Casa de Oración (House of Prayer) in Yutandayoo. They didn't want us to be included in the picture.
You didn't get the FHE foto, you got my sunburn foto. Someone once told me that the suns rays burn worse when it's overcast, and I called that person a liar. I then chose not to wear a hat or sunscreen on Saturday because it was overcast, and I learned that I am an idiot.