I can only imagine what the prophet Joseph Smith had to have felt as he sat in that small room, some 188 years ago. Who would have known that what started as a small room of people, has grown to become something so much greater, that the everlasting gospel is arriving "unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people." I hope that on that spring morning many years ago, as the Church was officially established, the prophet Joseph Smith felt something similar to what I felt yesterday in Yutandayoo as we held the first sacrament services in this family group. We had 27 people in attendance. It's hard to describe what I felt as we gathered together to remember our Savior by taking the sacrament and be nourished by the good word of God, there in their home. There where they live and work, and now, worship. We asked the Hermana Maria, one of the first members in the village, to share her testimony in Mixteco, the native language of Yutandayoo. I don't know exactly what she said, but I know that she bore a powerful testimony, and the Spirit spoke through her, and it touched my heart, and surely it touched all those present. It was a day that I will never forget.
I think it's crazy that the Lord puts such great responsibility in the hands of such young, inadequate people. But then I think it's brilliant, because these experiences are life changing. I wish I could put into words exactly what I felt, but I don't know how. For now, I'll put it this way: God loves every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. Christ is the Savior of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. This is His true church; He sits at the head of it and leads it.
Diana and Angel were baptized on Saturday. They're the family that lives in our branch but has been attending the other branch. My companion, me, Elder Muñoz and Elder Muñiz sang "Families can be together forever" and they let me put on videos while the wet people changed. Unfortunately, the other branch is trying really hard to hold on to them and make them not want to switch, and our branch is not presenting any redeeming qualities to make them feel welcome in our branch. They even confirmed her in the sacrament meeting of the other branch, which is very against the instructions of Presidente Ávila. However, all we can do is build them up and strengthen them, and help them reach a level of conversion that they make the switch, not because somebody moves them, but because they come to feel that it's the right thing to do.
See the video I showed... HERE! https://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/mormon-messages/discovering-truth
On Thursday, Elder Muñiz and I went to Jamiltepec and did divisions with the elders here. I got to spend the day with mi hijo primogenito (firstborn son), Elder Oliva. It was a great day and brought back memories of the good ole days back in Costa Azul.
On Tuesday, Elder Maxwell and I did divisions in Marquelia. I was with Elder de la Torre and we found 3 new investigators and committed them all to baptized! Unfortunately, none of them went to church yesterday. But we'll work on that with them next week. We topped off the day with some bomb street tacos that destroyed every one's stomachs, but not mine. Remember a year ago when I had Typhoid Fever? Ya, I have intestines of steel.
I hope everyone has a great week! I love all y'all!
-Elder Aldrich
FOTOS
1) Casa de Oración (House of Prayer) en Marquelia
2) Elder Maxwell owed me $7 pesos, so he wrote out every way he could pay the fee.
3-7) Grupo Familiar Yutandayoo; 27 de mayo de 2018