22 ENERO 2018:Tearing it up in TAXCO

Well, my friends, a fantastic week started out with some fantastic news: There is a living prophet of God on the earth today! I'm so thankful for President Russell M. Nelson, for all that he has done, and for all that he will continue to do as President of the church. God has NOT abandoned us, and now it's time to continue to press on in the work of salvation.

This week, we found a few new investigators with LOTS of potential. The first was Uvaldo. He's a good man who has made (and continues to make) poor decisions. He listens to us, because his family are members and he's genuinely interested in learning more, but he SAYS (he says) that he doesn't want to change. But I've met hundreds of people who need the gospel to change their life over these last 17 months, and I don't think that he doesn't want to change, I think it's that he doesn't think he can, or he knows that it's going to be hard. Honestly, ya. It's going to be hard to break addictions and leave nasty old habits, but not harder than he is capable of doing, and ABSOLUTELY possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I'm excited to see the change that takes place in Uvaldo.

The other day I was flipping through the area book, pretty sure I wouldn't find anything useful, when I came across the teaching record of Erika. I called the phone number, and she answered. I asked if we could visit her, and she got all excited and was like, "CLARO QUE SI, HERMANO!" So we went. Erika has the saddest life story I have ever heard. Her dad left the family when she was little, then her mom died when she was 14. Her dad stole all the money her mom had left behind, and Erika spent the next few years homeless. She got married to the love of her life, had 4 kids, then her husband passed away, leaving her a single mom to 4 small children. 3 of her 4 children have also passed away over the years. Later on, she remarried, but a couple months ago, her husband left her for another woman. So she's very lonely and doesn't feel a lot of love. She told us that she misses the feeling she gets when the elders visit her. I really do just hope and pray that Erika accepts the gospel and is baptized.

We also found Andi. He's also listened to the missionaries before. His sister is a member and lives in Utah. He says he passes the church every day, and never thinks anything of it, but on Thursday night, he was walking past, and something (that would be the Spirit) told him, "Andres, this is the play where you'll find the peace you're looking for." So he entered. There were some members there for an activity, so they called us and we ran to meet him. He's having some really hard times as well, so we talked about the Plan of Salvation, gave him a blessing, and invited him to begin reading the Book of Mormon. He's been reading, and he calls us every day to tell us how much he loves it, how he can't believe he never read it all the other times the missionaries have invited him to read.

Then there's Rosa, I contacted her in a small store while we were looking for a member's house. She invited us back because she's pregnant, and her and her boyfriend had JUST finished talking about how they needed to raise their daughter with a belief in God. Just a few short minutes later, we showed up, and she didn't think that was much of a coincidence. Neither do I. We talked about the Restoration of the Gospel, she said that she felt that what we shared was true. Very good, Rosa, now go tell that to your boyfriend and BAUTÍCENSE! (But cásense first, please.)

Update of Alfredo: Him and his wife (or future wife) Andrea and SUPER excited for their wedding day. They're not going to do any sort of big party or honeymoon or nothing, but I'm going to buy them a cake and we're going to eat cake! Whoo hoo!

Yesterday I got suckered into playing a special musical number in a stake fireside. There's this musical genius, Miguel Robles, that lives in Iguala, the city where our stake is based, and we had met and worked together while I was in Acapulco, so when he heard I was in the Iguala zone, he took full advantage. Last night, he sang and I played and we sounded AWESOME.

So, ya. Elder Bonilla and I are just working like crazy people up here in Taxco. I'm loving working in Taxco. I'm a little worried that my time here is going to be very short, so I'm just making the most of every moment I have in this beautiful city with my fantastic hijo.

I hope everyone has a great week! I love all y'all!

-Elder Aldrich

1) These creepy statues are of the Semana Santa (Holy Week) traditions in Taxco. I'm sure if you looked up Holy Week in Taxco, you'd see the real deal, I just don't know that I recommend that you do that.


2) More callejones of Taxco.


3) THE SAM'S CLUB IN IGUALA HAS MOUNTAIN DEW. I'll be going back next week when I have money.