From the day we got here, the members of the branch have shown us more support than any other ward I've been in in the mission. They have loaded us up with references and they accompany us daily. The hills never let us rest but the streets and buildings really are just so beautiful. The streets are paved with rocks, so its like getting a foot massage with every step, and "white house with red bricks and a black door" describes 80% of the city, but somehow it never gets old.
To be completely honest, on Wednesday morning, I was worried. I didn't know how to open an area, and even though Taxco only went 3 weeks without missionaries, they didn't leave ANYTHING with us, so we were literally starting from ZERO. We had found a couple old investigators from almost a year ago in the area book that we were going to try and visit, but we were really just going to talk to strangers for 8 hours. But about 20 minutes into our aimless search, we got a call from a sister who was BEYOND EXCITED that Taxco had missionaries again, and she wanted us to go RIGHT THEN to meet her boyfriend.
So we went, gladly, and met Oscar. He's 20 years old and is basically already a member, he just hasn't been baptized. He went to EFY when he was a teenager, he's been attending church for months, and he wants to be baptized. A little too good to be true, right? Exactly. Oscar doesn't actually live in Taxco anymore, he's just here on break from school. He now lives in Mexico City and will be returning in February. BUT, his family still lives here and we're going to start teaching them. So hey, everybody is Saved.
We also have Alfredo. Alfredo isn't married to the woman he lives with! If I had a peso for every investigator I've had that is living with someone they aren't married to, I'd have a few pesos, and I'd throw them on the ground out of frustration, then I'd quickly pick them and go buy a Coke so I could drink my problems away. However, the situation with Alfredo is a bit easier, because the only thing standing in the way of him and baptism is the distance between his house and the courthouse. Alfredo is so prepared to live the gospel and be baptized. He has committed to be baptized February 3rd and him and his wife have committed to be married before then.
I could go on and on about how much I love Taxco, this branch, being a papi to Elder Bonilla, being in Mexico (as lost as I usually feel), and just being a missionary. But I think I'll just end with my testimony that I KNOW that Heavenly Father lives, and loves me. Christ lives and directs His church right now, in real time-- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He will not let us be lead astray, nor will He abandon us. I love my Savior, I love this gospel, I love this work. I know that my mom is counting the days until I come home, and that the day is coming, but I think I'll just be a missionary forever, whether in México, Las Vegas, Idaho, wherever the Lord sends me, because this gospel is too great to let anyone live their life without it.
I love all y'all. Have a great week!
FOTOS
1) It may not be an ocean view, but I mean, look at that.
2) The church.
3) Almost every street in Taxco looks about like this.
4) Or like this. Or somewhere in between. #THUNDERTHIGHS
5&6) The Cathedral
7) I just thought I'd show off the sweater that I has been in the bottom of my suitcase for 16 months. I wore it all day yesterday. #GÜEROGUAPO