26 JUNIO 2017: Salmon Vanilla

Hello family, friends, and others! I'm sorry, but the cool mission stories for the week are limited. Once the post-illness honeymoon-phase was over, I realized that I wasn't feeling as well as I thought I was. I also learned that while many see sticking it out and going out to work no matter how cruddy you feel as diligent and faithful, I came to understand that when the mission president tells you to stay in and rest, going out to work is stupid and stubborn. I'll explain more.

But first, I want to talk about Alma. She's an old investigator we found in the area book. Her son and his family just moved out of her house to the other side of Chilpancingo, and even though they come to visit, she feels super lonely. We went and visited her and she said that she loves the peace that she feels when we visit her, that she knows that she can feel that peace always if she gets baptized. I don't know that I've ever had an investigator invite herself to be baptized.

However, she didn't go to church yesterday. She texted us like 30 minutes into sacrament meeting to tell us she slept in. So now we have our focus for the week. Stay tuned for the Alma saga.

I also did my first baptismal interviews. They were all 3 children. I still don't like children.

Ok so now that I've left you hanging with the sick elder, here's what went down.

So on Saturday, I started with a sharp pain in my abdomen. As the day went on, it hurt so bad that I couldn't even walk. We were just trying to get a hold of a doctor to help me figure out what was wrong. Finally we got a hold of a lady in our ward that I had no idea was a doctor. She couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, so we received instructions from Presidente to go directly to the hospital, even though the mission's insurance doesn't cover the hospital in Chilpancingo.

We got there and they informed us that the hospital was no longer taking patients. My companion loaded me back into the bishop's car and we said a prayer. Next thing we know, the bishop shows up with a wheelchair. Turns out, he knows the owner of the hospital and worked some magic. They wheeled me in and layed me down, asked me a million questions, hooked me up to an IV, took like 8 gallons of blood to sample, pumped me full of drugs, wheeled me in for an ultrasound, made me take a cold shower, and made me wait in same room as a skimpy girl who cut her hand open in a bar fight, and an angry Chinese man with his daughter who made my Spanish sound BEAUTIFUL.

After about 4 hours, they came back with all my results. I don't have Apendicitis or Kidney Stones. I don't have Chikungunya or Zika, and it turns out I don't have and never did have Dengue. I'm not pregnant, and them dirty needles in this sketchy Mexican hospital late at night didn't give me HIV either.

I have Salmonela poisoning. And that, my friends, would be the cause of everything. We don't know exactly how I contracted Salmonela, but I've been on an antibiotic for 2 days with instructions to take it easy, and I feel SOOOO much better than I've felt in weeks. So just give me a few more days and I'll be back to baptizing the whole world.

And the best part: the doctora that attended me on Saturday wants Elder Hernandez to come back and marry her. Do it, Hernandez. She's a DOCTORA.

I hope everyone had a better week than me! haha And I hope to hear all about your even better week to come! I love all y'all!

-Elder Tyler Steven Aldrich

PICTURES
1) CHILPO


2) We had to clean the font again. Turns out, the faucet for the font leaks sand. I'm confused.


3) Clarissa. She TECHNICALLY doesn't count for us, because she's 8 years old and her parents are members, but we taught her and we're best buddies.


4) The water came out super filthy, so we colored it blue (don't ask me why, I was opposed to the idea) and it was just all bad.


5) It was late, I was tired. Elder Hernandez was also tired. #selfie #alldayeveryday #okhopefullynot


6) The Dress!