06 MARZO 2017: Ultimate BINGO Champs

N47! And with that, Jardín wins round 1 of Ultimate BINGO.

Wednesday night, we were chillin in Ward Council, when suddenly, the power goes out. We wrap things up, go outside, and find that the power was out everywhere between the Carretera (highway) Pie de la Cuesta to the ocean. The power going out is normal, but we ran into a bit of a problem. The gate to the parking lot of the church is automatic. Super fancy, right? Well, that also means that without power, we were stranded. But that's ok, because we'll just get the key to the gate out of the bishop's office, right? Wrong. The only guy that has a key to the car gate to our building is a member in Barrio Vista Alegre, 45 minutes away. So we waited. Homeboy finally shows up and sets us free. We got a ride from our ward mission leader, and on the way home--

B18! Jardín DOMINATES the blackout round, making us OFFICIALLY, the Ultimate BINGO Champs.

Lights go out everywhere. Our side of Acapulco and as far as we could see was COMPLETELY dark. I mean pitch black. I had forgotten what that kind of darkness felt like. To make things worse, THE SILENCE. Usually we have a fan running, or you can hear the hum of our fridge, but no. Nada. And there weren't even cars driving in the streets. So we just hid out in our house.

We had a really slow week as far as the work goes. We had more appointments fall through that actually happen. The weather is starting to feel like Satan's armpit again, and I got sunburned. *Sad Face* But hey! For every dumb, no-fun thing that happens, there's something to counteract it and make it ok.

Mari and Jennifer. They were a reference from a member, Hermana Gloria, who has actually be taking Jennifer and her little brothers to church for a year or so now. Mari's husband recently left her, and so she decided she needed to get her life in order. She has noticed a change in her kids over the last year that they've been going to church, so she asked Gloria to send US so she could start learning. ORO. GOLD.

We also have an investigator, Jesús. He is alcoholic. Not so good. But, he genuinely wants to change. So we have been working with him and setting goals to help him get off alcohol, and he's been reaching his goals! He has SO MUCH faith that the Lord will help him overcome this addiction, and I know that it is only through Him (Jesus) that Jesús (the investigator) has been able to make the progress he has made. The Atonement is real.

Also, I have been reading Our Heritage, a book about the history of the church. The other day, I read about the handcart companies and the trials and challenges they faced while crossing the plains. There is a quote from a man in one of these companies that I will never forget. This man had overheard some men criticizing the church leaders for sending people in handcart companies, and this was the man's response:

"I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other. I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can only go that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it... I have gone on to that sand and when I reached it, the car began pushing me. I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew that the angel of God were there.

"Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company."

I have not been asked to do anything nearly as difficult as cross the plains in a handcart company, but there are absolutely times in my mission where I've thought, "I can only go that much further. I can only work that much longer. I can only give that much more." And then something pushes me. Something motivates me. Something allows me to walk that much further, work that much longer, and give that much more. Sometimes it's my companion's hand on my shoulder. Sometimes it's a free bolsa of chilate. Sometimes I look around and I see no one, and I know that it is the power of God, that it is His angels who know there is a work to be done, and they need me to do it.

Do I regret coming on my mission? Do I regret it when the sweat runs into my eyes or when another appointment falls through or when I stand in front of another endless hill to climb or when my family goes to Disneyland without me? No. Not for even a minute. The price I pay to become acquainted with God, and to allow others the opportunity to become acquainted with Him is a PRIVILEGE to pay.

I love the mission. I love these people so much. I love this opportunity I have to represent the Lord here in Acapulco, and in the Misión México Cuernavaca. I love Jesus (the Lord) and I know He lives.

PICTURES (y hoy, hay muchas.)
1) The Blackout


2) Admiring my Garden


3) I caved and bought a sombrero. Now I look super Testigo (Jehovas Witness) and super tourist. It's the worst. But my face says Thank You.


4) I named my sombrero Skippy because it kinda smells like peanut butter.


5) Jesús (the investigator) helps run a hotel in Pie de la Cuesta, so we taught him on the hotel's private beach.


6&7) Y'all know I'm a sucker for sunsets




I love all y'all! Have a great week and remember to write me and tell me all about it!

-Elder Aldrich