Cambio 3, Semana 3: Guys, I need money.

January 9, 2017

This week has been one of great progress in Jardín. In a weird, twisted way, it's because they all thought that the missionaries had been kidnapped in their ward. It was really interesting to see how that event played out. Every person that told us their side of the story, the event of the Missing Missionaries was more or less like the end of the world. Members who hated each other, working together to find us in the hospitals and morgues (because that's where our ward mission leader was determined to find us), others consoling each other in their time of distress. A ward once divided over whether Hermana Odi or Hermana Martha made better chilate, immediately united over night.

On top of the ward starting to act like a ward, they're starting to act like missionaries, too. You see, the 4 days before I arrived to Acapulco from the CCM, another missionary who had been in Jardín earlier this year, was in Jardín while Elder Starks was waiting for me to show up. Well, this elder told everyone in the ward that they needed to help our the güeros (white dudes) because they wouldn't know how to do their job. Flash forward a couple months, turns out the güeros are doing their job just fine, so the members stopped worrying, and stopped helping. And when they stopped helping, the progress stopped, too. We've been trying for the last 6 weeks to get members in lessons and to get people to give us references. Then suddenly, the missionaries go missing and they all get this bright idea that they don't help us enough.

GUYS. We baptized 13 people this week!

Ok, maybe not. But every single lesson we taught was with a member. We have investigators with a date set for their baptism. we had 10 investigators in church, along with about 10 more less active members we've been working with. As to why I had to die for these people to figure out their role in missionary work, I couldn't tell you. But I can tell you, it was an answer to our prayers and I'm so excited to see the success we have in the coming weeks.

In other news, this week was the final holiday in México's month-long celebration. The 6 of January is el Día de los Tres Reyes, or the Day of the Three Kings. The Kings bring toys to the kids, but not the missionaries. Sad day. But there's also something called a Rosca. It's a large, round bread. Everyone takes a turn cutting themselves a piece, and if your piece of bread has a muñeca, or a little doll, you have to buy tamales for everyone in February. Well Elder Starks and I were invited to do 2 roscas, and with just my luck, I got a muñeca both times, so I have to buy tamales for like half the ward. So I am now accepting donations. Gracias.

PICTURES
1) We've recently developed a scorpion problem. By problem, I mean we found one this week and that's a problem.


2) Packages! I got the rest of my Christmas from my mom and I got a package from Grama Tootsie. Nerf guns, ties, a new blanket, and lots of other stuff I can't seem to remember right now but really appreciated!


3) Fish. I've never liked fish, but living on the ocean, we eat fish quite a bit. Good news: I liked it! Bad news: It's not the fish you have to worry about, its the lettuce. Lettuce is the most dangerous vegetable to eat. This lettuce you see here happened to taste like a swimming pool, and made me sick.


4) Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have to always act like one.


5) Cutting the rosca.


6) My "I don't got that kind of money" face.


I hope every one's New Year's Resolutions are coming along nicely. I have a goal to be able to touch my toes. Pathetic, I know. But I can only touch my knees. I'll keep everyone updated on how this goes.

Have a great week! I love ALL y'all!

-Elder Tyler Steven Aldrich