I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter Sunday! There's a slight problem in Mexico where the members of the church feel the need to distance themselves from the Catholic church, so they don't make Easter special. But, hey, knowing that it was Easter Sunday made it feel special to me, so yay. Happy Easter.
On Wednesday, all the missionaries woke up at the
crack of dawn to catch a bus to a city called Iguala. We had a Multi-Zone Conference with Presidente y Hermana Ávila there. Every time I listen to Presidente y Hermana Ávila speak, I just love them even more. They're the greatest.
After the conference, our bus didn't leave until 6:40, so we went street contacting in Centro. Iguala is super hot, so my companion, who has been in Chilpancingo his whole mission, didn't know what to do with the mysterious liquid dripping from his face. Pobre Elder.
We were given a reference from a member of our ward to visit a lady named Betty. We set the appointment and showed up to the lesson. She told us at the beginning that she had never even seen missionaries before, let alone knew what we talked about. We got done with the lesson and learned that she already had a Book of Mormon, had already been to our church 4 times in Pinotepa, Oaxaca, another city on the opposite end of our mission, and that she had actually received all the lessons from the missionaries. So I'm still confused what she accomplished by lying to us and what we accomplished by spending 45 minutes in her house, but when in doubt, baptize her and see if she stays active. (Not really, but kinda.)
That same member went with us to visit a different hermana who was an investigator about 2 years ago. We started talking to her and learned that 2 weeks ago, her 13 year old daughter passed away. It was so sad to hear this woman talk about her daughter, especially because she had no idea if she'd ever see her daughter again. We taught the Plan of Salvation to help her understand that Heavenly Father's plan is that our families be together forever. I don't know that she heard much of what we said, but what's more important that what they learn at first is what they feel, and I know that the Spirit touched her heart that day.
My quincena (our money we receive from the mission every 15 days) came in $893 pesos. That's $7 pesos short of the normal $900, which means I could only take $800 out of the ATM. I got shorted $100 pesos. That's 6 liters of milk. 3 boxes of cereal. 7 liters of Coke. 17 combis. Almost half of the light bill, which OH, by the way, I had to pay right after we took out money. $232 pesos. So I have a grand total of $567 pesos to eat and get around Chilpancingo until May 1st. I'm going to starve. Pray for me.
I was asked to play the piano for a baptismal service on Satuday. After the pre-ordinance program, it came time for the ordinance. They went to open the doors to the font so everyone could see the baptism and the doors were locked. They tried everything. They even tried to break the doors open. Finally, somebody had the bright idea to contact the hermanas who had a baptism there last week and ask how they opened the doors. They finally got ahold of a guy with a key, he came, he opened it, and the day was saved.
I was asked yesterday on the way to church to speak in sacrament meeting. I prepared a FANTASTIC talk. Then they never called me up to speak. The worst part is NOBODY TALKED ABOUT JESUS. How are we supposed to call ourselves the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST if nobody talkes about Jesus?
But if you would like a glimpse of what my talk would have been, read John 20:11-17, Romans 8:35&37 (but not 36, 36 is weird), Mosiah 16:7-8, and D&C 76:22. Then think of some funny jokes that I would throw in there and a super powerful testimony that Christ lives.
But really, I do want to share that final scripture, D&C 76:22:
And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of Him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of Him: THAT HE LIVES!
I don't know if I have already shared this scripture in one of my emails, (I think actually I have) but that is my testimony. The most important message I am here to share is that CHRIST LIVES. I know it, without a doubt. Even though I've never seen His face, I have felt His love and experienced His forgiveness. And THAT is the testimony that I give.
I love all y'all! I hope everyone has a great week!
-Elder Tyler Steven Aldrich