November 28, 2016
If you're reading this, chances are you're coming out of a food coma or you're expecting a food baby any day now. Over these last fw days, America got a little bit fatter, everyone's wallets got a little bit skinnier, and now, Christmas season is in full swing. Well, here in Mexico, not much changed. Thanksgiving isn't a thing, and people are more worried about the Día de la Virgen Maria than Christmas.
This Thanksgiving was both my and Elder Starks' first Thanksgiving away from home. We were both a little homesick because we knew that are families were together, partyin it up without us. Our "Thanksgiving Dinner" was simple, and our member had to go to Centro, so we ate just the two of us in our casa. Elder Starks was trying not to think about the fact that is was Thanksgiving. However, the silence was killing me, so I started saying things I was thankful for. Cheesy, right? Well, I thought I would share my list with you.
Chilate. Chilate is basically Mexican chocolate milk, and it is my absolute favorite non-missionary part of living in Mexico. We have an hermana in our ward who sells Chilate on our street and every time we walk by, she gives us some. No wonder my pants are getting tighter.
Coke. The fact that Coke is NOT against the Word of Wisdom. I can drink my problems away and still be worthy to enter the temple. Hey look, I just won twice!
Our Ward. I love them. They feed us EVERYDAY, and somehow, they always seem to turn up when we need them most. For example, this week, our recent convert, Yajaira, spent a few days in the hospital because somehow, her body was dangerously low on blood. The hospital told Ali and Yajaira that they would have to find their own blood, so they contacted us and we contacted the ward. Elder Starks and I were pretty sure nobody from the ward would show, and that we would have to get special permission to go and donate blood ourselves. Well, Elder Starks and I were wrong. Various members from our ward went and donated blood and visited Yajaira because men aren't allowed in the women's wing of the hospital, not even her husband.
Sunscreen. I'm red enough as it is.
The Ocean. I've seen the ocean every day for the last 2 months and it has NEVER gotten old. I'm scared of what will happen if I get transferred out of Jardín and don't get to see the ocean everyday. Even when I feel like I'm going to die because I'm hot and the mountain feels like it keeps getting taller, I can look out and see one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen. And the crazy thing is the higher you climb, the better the view. (And you can bet I'll make some sort of metaphor with that someday.)
Reggaeton.
Lizards. They live in our house and eat our bugs. Downside: they poop EVERYWHERE. Oh well. Sometimes you have to pick you battles.
My Parents. I'm sure my whole life, my parents have looked at me and said, "Where did this come from and what do we do with it?" Nevertheless, my parents have always made sure I know that they love me more than I can even imagine. Even though an orchestra concert is 1,000,000x less exciting than a basketball game, my parents have always been there to support me in all that I do, and I just want to make sure they know how much I love and appreciate them.
My Brothers. I don't look like I could be related to any of them, and I've always had different interests than all of them, but they are 4 of the greatest friends I could've ever asked for and I love them and miss them like crazy.
My Mission. I'm only 3 months into my mission (including the CCM, which everyone says doesn't count yet) and I have learned so much. I can actually communicate with people in a new language, and my job all day every day is to make sure every person I talk to knows how infinitely much Jesus loves them. So there are hard days, days where people refuse to listen through your accent, days when literally every appointment either falls through or the investigators leave you. These days happen, and when they happen, you say you prayers, you go to bed, and you wake up with a whole new day ahead. Every hard part of being a missionary is absolutely worth every spiritual experience, every baptism, and every free chilate. I was talking with Caleb not long after he got home this summer and he said, "When you serve a mission, you really don't sacrifice anything because Christ already sacrificed EVERYTHING for us, and that's the message we share." And man, I couldn't agree more. So I spent Thanksgiving away from my family. Yes, I missed them, and yes, I was a little homesick, but I don't regret anything, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else doing anything else.
My Savior. Like I mentioned before, He sacrificed everything for us. As Christmas is just around the corner, I think of the significance of this event, the birth of the Savior of the World. Because He was born, He lived a perfect life and set a perfect example. While I know I will never reach His level, I will always do my best to try, and when I fail, which I inevitably will, He will always be ther to pick me back up. He atoned for my sins so that even when I do things I know I shouldn't, I have the opportunity to repent and be made clean through Him. And because He died and resurrected, I know that I too will have the opportunity to be resurrected and live with my family forever. I wear His name on my heart. I serve Him. I love Him.
Oh, man. I love Thanksgiving and I hope everyone had the best Thanksgiving ever. My Thanksgiving was untraditional, but I got to spend it preaching the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Honestly, y'all should be jealous.
PICTURES:
1) Thanksgiving Dinner
2&3) La Quebrada
Everyone, have an amazing week, then write me an email telling me all about it! I love all y'all!
-Elder Aldrich