Elder Tyler Steven Aldrich is serving in the Mexico Cuernavaca Mission
On Top of the World!
October 17, 2016
I'm thoroughly convinced that whoever declared Mt. Everest the tallest mountain in the world hasn't spent much time on our side of Acapulco. Ok maybe not. But the hills are a little ridiculous. We had comida with an hermana on Tuesday. She happens to live at the VERY top of our area. Like, we thought we found the top of our area last week, but no. She lives higher. She was very nice, gave us lime water with lots of little ants swimming in it, but it's fine. After we were finished eating, I gave a little spiritual thought, and in a combination of cabin fever (because nobody wants to hike all the way to her house to visit her, and she doesn't want to hike down, either) and a crisis of faith, she talked to us for what felt like 3 days. It was actually 3 hours, which in a busy missionary schedule, is forever. But she talked, and we listened. She gave us a run down of her whole life. Her tragedies, her greatest joys, her hopes and dreams, her doubts. Everything. And we were there to listen.
You see, the missionary purpose followed by all missionaries is simple: Invite ALL to come unto Christ. We aren't limited to helping people who haven't been baptized or people who haven't shown up to church since before I was born, we invite ALL to come unto Christ. This hermana comes to church (usually) and right now, just needs some help remembering the joy she felt when she was baptized and why all of this is so important. We went back on Friday, and on the way up, I turned to Elder Starks and said, "Why can't this lady have her crisis of faith at the bottom of this hill?" I'll admit, that's really whiny of me. I don't know for sure that this hermana has decided that remaining active in the church is something she wants to do right now, but I know that we did what we could. We read with her, talked with her, we listened to her, we machete-ed the crap out of the grass in front of her house, and we extended the invitation: Follow YOUR Savior.
On Thursday we went out to a small town, Coyuca, about an hour and some away, via white creeper van. The driver totally ripped off the 2 American Mormon Missionaries, which was cool. We went with the bishop to visit a less active hermana who showed up to church last week. Her name is Nati and she is 20, so pretty much our same age, and she has a baby. So I'm pretty sure she saw two options for a father for her child and a way back to the States when we walked in. She was very (VERY) flirty. So I think we're going to get her some very diligent home teachers, probably in their 40's or 50's who already have families to visit her. But we committed her to read the Book of Mormon and continue coming to church.
We had interviews with Presidente Àvila this week. It had only been like 10 days since I had interviewed with him last, so we really didn`t have much to talk about, but Presidente Àvila is already one of my favorite people. He's such a cool guy and I can tell that he just loves all the missionaries so much. Elder Starks and I were in such a hurry to get out to Coyuca that we forgot (well, he forgot, I didn't know, but I ain't placing blame.) that we also had interviews with Hermana Àvila, so we were half way home when she called us. I felt pretty bad. I love Hna. Àvila. I mean, when I met her, she fed me so...
Last night we had weekly planning, which anyone who has every been a missionary under Preach My Gospel dies a little when they hear someone say Weekly Planning. But somehow we got talking about the list of menos activos (less actives) and so we pulled it out and looked at it. We legit have some 500 members on the menos activos list and about 85 attending the ward weekly (only about 65 yesterday). I looked at that list and it honestly made me so sad. 500 people who have lost their way in OUR AREA alone. We also learned that our one ward used to have 3 wards, but they've had to dissolve two of them. So I'm determined to get the Jardìn ward back to 3 separate wards, whether it happens while I'm here or not.
Also, quick PSA before I go: Missionaries need to quit telling people that Coca-Cola is against the Word of Wisdom. It's not.
That is all.
It's been another great week here in Acapulco! I love all y'all!
Elder Aldrich
PICTURES:
1) I've always been a sucker for sunsets.
2) For Luke. There are squirrels here, and I know how much you love squirrels.
3) I love the beach! But we aren't allowed to touch the water.
4) I believe Caleb has a picture like this. Well, mine's better because mine was taken in the greatest mission in the world.
5) Daddy.
6) Ladies and Gentlemen, Acapulco.